Dyed and Gone to Heaven – An Online Magazine and Needlework Resource
Bargello Pine Trees Stocking Instructions
(Full chart at the bottom of this page is also set up larger in 4 parts, Charts 1A-D, for greater detail.)
OUTLINE Chart 1A-- Chart 1B - Chart 1C-- Chart 1D
SIZE: Approximately 5 1/2" x 4"
8" x 10" piece #24 congress cloth or 25 count evenweave fabric
One skein each color listed in color key for Caron Collection Soie Cristale, Watercolours, Candlelight, Impressions, and Snow.
1/4 yd. fabric for lining
1/4 yd. fabric for backing
1 yd. cording
Needles: Size 22 and 24 tapestry
NOTE: All stitches are over four threads with a step of two.
Measure to find center of fabric. Following arrows, draw intersecting lines across chart to locate center. Matching centers of chart and canvas, work design according to charts and instructions. As the edges of the design are reached, fill in as much of each stitch as possible. A few more or less stitches will not adversely affect the design.
Bargello Pine Trees
- Using one strand Snow, work entire gridwork as diagrammed to form a network of ogee shapes.
- In upper portion of design, work stars in double cross using one strand gold Candlelight. Fill in sky in cross stitch over two threads using one strand navy Impressions.
- Pine Trees
- Following chart, work two partial rows at bottom of each ogee shape using four strands Soie Cristale white. Work a pine tree in each remaining ogee shape using four strands pale green Soie Cristale for lighter branches, and one ply evergreen Watercolours for darker branches. Work a star at top of each pine tree motif in elongated cross stitch using one strand gold Candlelight (work over top bargello stitch).
- Block canvas if necessary. Cut two pieces of lining and one piece backing using Bargello Stocking Pattern. Place right sides of lining together and baste, leaving top edge open. Place wrong side of lining to wrong side of stocking; baste, leaving top edge open. Place right sides of backing and stocking together; baste, leaving top edge open. Sew stocking together just inside outer edge of needlepoint stitching, leaving an opening at top edge. Trim seam; clip curves. Turn stocking rightside out. Lightly press stocking with needlepoint facing a padded surface. Turn seam allowances under at top edge and stitch lining to stocking. (For more on finishing techniques see this month's, December, Feature Story.)
- Cut 1 1/2 yds. each of three contrasting threads. Tie two colors together at one end. Separate colors at knot and tie knot in each end. Slip one knotted end of thread over pencil or cuphook screw securely fitted into drill. Attach other knotted end to small knob or have helper hold.
Keeping thread taut, twist until thread begins to double back on itself when tension is slightly released. Remove thread from cuphook screw. Holding center knot, fold twisted floss in half., securing ends away from each other.
- Tie one end of third color to center knot. Twist third color using same technique. When third color is twisted to proper tightness, hold center knot, bring all three ends together, and secure. Release center knot gradually, separating cords between fingers as cording twists toward ends.
Stitch cording around stocking; make a loop to hang stocking at upper left edge.
BARGELLO PINE TREES COLOR KEY Snow 1-strand D1 Candlelight gold 1-strand 0076 Impressions navy 1-strand 7024 Soie Cristale pale green 4-strands 0057 Soie Cristale white 4-strands 121 Watercolours evergreen 1-strand
COPYRIGHT NOTICE: These charts and instructions are provided for our web site visitors who are granted permission to print them out for personal use but cannot be reproduced (electronically or otherwise) or copied without the express written permission of McCalls Needlework.
© 1997 The Caron Collection Ltd./ oice: (203) 381-9999, Fax: 203 381-9003 CARON email: firstname.lastname@example.org